You’re having a dinner date with your sweetheart. In the meanwhile, you find a perfect moment to take a selfie with her. You reach into your pocket to pull out your phone, you realize that it’s missing. Did the phone misplace somewhere in the restaurant? Or maybe at home? or the worst case did someone steal it? Your mind races. You have no idea. what to do? how to locate it? Read this article till the end to find out the missing phone.
- How to locate your phone using Google.
- Locate your phone with third-party apps.
- Which one to choose.
How to locate your phone using Google
Almost all Android phones come with a tracking feature called Find My Device. This feature will automatically track your phone’s location. So whenever you feel like you lost your phone or stolen it by someone you can use this to find your phone’s location. Even if your phone is in switch off it will show the last location of your phone when it was active. All you have to do is open find my device in google browser in your laptop or in your friend’s phone.
The most important thing you should do is make sure your phone is all set up to be found before it goes missing. In most cases, your phone is already activated but anyhow below steps are just to confirm whether it is activated or not.
How to enable Find My Device on your phone
In newer Android phones, the Find My Device service is already located conveniently in your Settings app, but if you can’t find it out you can always download Find My Device app from the Google Play Store. These are just a couple of things you’ll need to activate.
- open Settings.
- click on Security.
- Tap Device Administration.
- Tap Find My Device so that a checkmark appears in the checkbox.
- Now open location in your settings menu.
- Turn on location at the top of the screen.
- Tap Mode and click on high accuracy so that it turns on.
How to locate your phone with Google
Just by logging into your google account by computer or any other android phone you can find your missing phone.
- open google browser from a phone, tablet, or computer.
- Type find my phone in the Google search bar or you can directly click on the link which I have provided.
- Tap on Find My Device (usually the first option in the search).
- Enter your email address and password of your google account associated with the lost phone. If you have 2-step verification set up on your Google account (and most certainly you should), you’ll need to complete that process as well.
- Now you can see your phone’s location, and additionally, you will have three more options to choose from:
- You can Ring your phone so that it makes noise (even if you had it on silent). This feature is helpful if your phone is within your confined range.
- You can Lock your phone with a new passcode so that the finder can’t access your phone.
- you can Erase your phone data if you feel like your phone contains some confidential information.
If you want to download a tracking app for fear of a missing phone crisis, there are a number of options to choose from, and I am highlighting some choice picks for you. These apps can help you a lot in locating your missing phone.
- Family locator
- Wheres my droid
- Cerberus Anti Theft
- Prey anti-theft
- Lost Android
- Seek droid lite
- Anti Droid Theft
- Plan B
- Kaspersky mobile security
- Norton mobile security lite
- Avg Antivirus
- Avast mobile security
Lookout has both tracking your device and providing a good antivirus protection to your device. It comes with both the free version and pro version depending on your budget you can select which one you want. It has many better features compared to google find my device. It will automatically save your device’s location when the battery is low. You can check other features on their official website.
Family Locator Offers Real-Time Location Data, unlike other apps family locator, allows you to track all Circle Members in your group. For example, you can track your friends, family etc. Works on both android and ios so, you can track any device irrespective of operating system. You can create your own groups, called “Circles,” of loved ones, friends, teammates whoever matters you the most and one more thing you can chat with them in Family Locator for FREE. Get real-time alerts when Circle Members arrive at or leave destinations.
Prey Anti Theft
- Control Zones: Mark an area on a map, and get alerts when your mobile devices enter or leave it.
- GPS Geolocation: Pin-point accuracy reflected on a map, with GPS coordinates on each report.
- Security Alarm: It will ring like gangbusters, even if your Android phone’s sound is silenced.
- Security Lock: Keep curious hands away from your lost mobile device, lock it remotely.
- Front and Back Camera: Take silent snaps and discover who is holding your device.
- Security Camouflage: Go silent with the camouflage mode, hide the app on your android phone.
- Security Message Alert: Display a message on the screen to contact the current user.
Where’s My Droid
- Text your attention word
- Notification of changed SIM card or phone number
- Stealth Mode hides incoming text with attention word
- Take pictures with the device’s camera
- Remotely wipe SD card
- Remotely wipe phone data
- Use a landline to activate the app
- Customizable ringtone when lost
- Auto Theft Detection
- Passive Location Updates
- Motion Alarm
- Location History
It will become lengthy if I go into detail about each and every app so I leave it up to you to find out which one best suits for your smartphone.
Which one to choose?
Anyhow, Google find my device comes with an inbuilt version of your mobile so anyhow you can use that but I recommend you to use any one 3rd party application as they come up with better and more features than find my device. So, from now don’t be over tensed whenever you lost your phone just follow these steps to find out the missing phone.